Sunday, September 2, 2007

Cryptic Language: An Explanation

A disclaimer about my future updates: They will be cryptic. By cryptic, I mean that names associated with my employers, my place of employment, my town, my position, etc. will be omitted in favor of phrases such as “The Powers that Be” in the case of my employers, “The School” in the case of my place of employment, “The Hamlet” in the case of my town, and “Entertaining Teacher from America” (ATE, when I want to abbrv.) in the case of my position. Other titles, I’ll make up as I go along and keep personal notes on them in case I ever want to publish my adventures here in … this country.

But, why the cryptic language? The Powers that Be have determined that some of our blogs within the Entertaining Teacher from America program are hitting a little too close to home in that they are easily searchable and even findable on the Internet. This would not be a problem if not for the fact that we have to maintain good relationships with our places of employment in order to have things like adequate stipends, homestays, two month paid vacations, and generally comfortable positions as we have now. If the place of employment happens upon an Entertaining Teacher from America’s blog, it might not like something it reads, whether that material is good or bad. It might just be information that the school doesn’t want made public. Thus, the Powers that Be want us to disassociate our blogs from the program, our schools, our hamlets, etc.

Now, technically, I do not have to abide by the censoring of this blog (free speech and all that), but I would like to get along with the program and I can understand their position concerning the benefits we receive from the host schools and would like to continue to receive.

Besides the language change in this blog, it also means that the blog will not be up for a while as I have to review old posts and censor them accordingly. I apologize for any confusion the new nomenclature might cause, and I hope it doesn’t make your reading too strenuous.

No comments: