Thursday, September 6, 2007

Culinary Note: Dog Soup (영양탕 or 보신탕)

Dog Soup, in Korean yeongyangtang, which means "nutricious soup" or boshintang, which means "invigorating soup" (영양탕 or 보신탕 respectively), is probably one of the most delicious things I've had yet in Korea. Surprisingly delicious, in fact. I ate it today for lunch with the other English teachers and some other faculty. It has the taste and consistency of beef, but is a little more tender and sweeter. It is served with various vegetables in a dark broth. Despite its fantastic taste, I probably will not be partaking of it very often, as it costs a pretty penny (about 8000 won or $8-9). At the same restaurant, I can also try goat soup, though I will have to wait on this.

But, why Jeremy?! Why? Man's best friend, for crying out loud! Oh, the humanity of eating a canine-ity: For those who are wondering about the ethical implications of this, Dog Soup is made from dogs that have been farmed, not household pets or even stray dogs. Thus, eating it is probably no different from eating a cow. Now, if eating beef causes you an ethical dilemma, then we have something to talk about. Just remember, I didn't eat Fido, today. I ate Bessie, or at least, Bessie's canine equivalent.

[Edit: I have since looked at some articles online about the dogmeat trade in Korea. As far as I can tell, it's actually illegal here. Many websites talk about how the industry has gone underground, though. This is not the case. The idustry is still above ground. The restaurant I went to was not shady. It was out in the open. Thus, I have a feeling it's illegal in Korea sort of the way that jaywalking is illegal in the states. No one's gonna bust your chops over it.]

3 comments:

Lydia said...

lol, omg... i should have known you would try dog meat in korea. haha

you're crazy!

...and far more open-minded than i'd have given you credit for if you were able to say it tasted delicious. ;)

R. Heeb said...

Wow...wow...

Jenna said...

I'm going to direct people to your page so they can read about dogmeat. I haven't had it yet. Hope you had a nice weekend! :)