Sunday, September 2, 2007

Writing Tutoring

Today, I got to dust off my writing tutoring skills, which were quite dusty. The pastor’s daughter wanted me to look over a couple of her essays at church, two for the TOEFL and one for the GRE. They were decently written. Certainly not the best English I’d ever seen, but since she has never studied at a native English speaking university where she’d have to learn how to actually write an English language essay, they were actually quite good. She attends Seoul National University, the Harvard of Korea (or the Yale or Stanford or Columbia, depending on your allegiances), so I really expected them to be about what they were. Still, she did have the common problems native Asian-language speakers have with article usage.

Her spoken English is quite good as well, and she has been very helpful in helping me know my way around the church. I was only too happy to oblige. She apparently wants to study 18th century western music at a university in the West, and I hope she can succeed. An American university would be foolish not to take her, to be honest.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Jeremy!!! I cannot believe how much you write! Seriously, it's really great, because it's such a good snapshot into what's going on. Although, I swear I just visited your blog last week and now there were like 8 new posts I had to read! I'm glad things are going well and I understand the pink eye problem. I did the shaking hands thing too (as per your suggestion during an earlier conversation) and I shook a girl's hand today that was wearing an eye patch. Mind you, after the fact that I shook her hand, everyone was like "red eye!" So, I had to finish the lesson using my left hand and then wash my hands. However, some of the students were impressed that I managed to write on the chalkboard using my left hand.
Hm- I almost had to sleep on one of those marble beds...
Lastly, Korean classes are not on the weekend- they are during the week. Every night afer school for me until November to be exact- assuming that I can register for them successfully. However, I did hear that the YMCA in Daegu has Korean classes. Maybe there is a YMCA or YWCA that has classes sort of close to you.

Catch you later!

-Jenna