Saturday, September 1, 2007

Trip to Wonju

This Saturday, I managed to get out to Wonju finally. At a 6,400 won and 1.5 hour bus ride, Wonju is the nearest big city to my hamlet, about 69 km. When I’m in good enough shape and if the weather ever improves (It’s been raining a lot because of monsoon season.), I’ll actually be able to bike there in a few hours. The bus is convenient enough, though, and I was able to procure a ticket by myself. Nothing complicated. I just walked briskly up to the ticket window and said, “I’m going to Wonju. How much is it?”

Wonju is mostly important to me because three of my friends from orientation live there: two other ATEs, one secondary and one elementary, and one of the former RAs for our dormitory. The last of these is at school in Chuncheon however, so he’ll only be in Wonju occasionally.

I met up with my friends, had lunch at one of their homestays (forgot a gift… BAD, Cultural Ambassador! BAD!), and then we went out to see the town. It was raining, so we mostly just did some quick shopping for someone’s upcoming birthday (I won’t say whose, just that she lives in Kirksville) and sat around in a coffee shop catching up on everything good and de-stressing about everything not so good. The former RA had just visited Sapporo, Japan, so he had lots of pictures to share.

(CULTURAL NOTE: To quote the ATE in this hamlet before me, “Koreans do not know how to make coffee.” This is true. They mix their coffee using pre-made packets of instant coffee, sugar, and cream. Though this may be very delicious (노무 맛있어요, learned a new phrase!), it is not coffee and does not have nearly the same effect as a good straight shot of black of French Roast, much less some of the darker blends. The coffee shop we went to Wonju, however, brews their coffee. A strong, dark cup of brewed coffee is a necessity for a college student and probably the greatest comfort to the working person. I am somewhere in between necessity and comfort at this point in my life, so my feelings on this matter are quite strong. I will make several trips to Wonju, if only to partake of this luxury. At 4,000-7,000 won a cup, it is a luxury indeed. I also saw the best beer selection I’ve yet seen in Korea at this establishment. They even had Negro Modelo. I’ll have to return for this as well.)

It’s a fun town. Next time I’ll probably try to spend the night though. My RA friend has offered to host me at his apartment where he lives with his mom. Really quite generous of him. I felt a little rushed getting out of Wonju because the last bus back to the Hamlet leaves around 6:00 pm.

No comments: