Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sleeping (or the lack thereof) and Dreaming (thus, the lack thereof)

Lately, I have not been sleeping well, something which I am sure is contributing to my fatigue. I believe the lack of sleep is due to various factors—eating late, muscle fatigue, changes in climate which make it hard to get comfortable, and dreaming. But, to reference Paul, the greatest of these (in all probability) is dreaming.

The dreams have been interesting to say the least. Often, they have been brutally violent and thus a little scary. I am not sure what is bringing these on. At times, they include gross images from the day, mostly bugs. This is probably caused by the fact that I actually do have bugs in my room and got stung by a bee for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

The strangest of them, however, have been the bilingual ones. That’s correct. I’ve been dreaming in Korean.

What usually happens is this: I will have a dream in English. The dream will be about school or home life or TKD or some other daily occurrence of no particular significance. I will then wake up, change positions in the bed in such a way that my feet are where my head was and my head is where my feet were, and go back to sleep. During this process, I am completely aware of what is going on, though apparently not fully able to control my ridiculousness. Upon falling back asleep, I dream the exact same dream, but in Korean. I then wake up, perform my strange flipperific routine once more, and dream a new dream in English.

This has happened up to three times in a single night. I’m sure that the Korean is a pseudo-Korean at best (as the English likely is as well) and would be completely useless in the real world. Still, it leads me to one conclusion and one conclusion only. My Korean knowledge must be stored in my feet. Thus, in order to access it, I have to trick my body into thinking my brain is where my feet aught to be.

That, or I’m just going positively mad. Possible. Unlikely, as … … Pardon me.

No comments: