Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Host Family

Nothing too new to report on the condition of the homestay. As we near Korea’s testing period, I see less and less of my middle school host sister. I believe she is preparing for her high school entrance exam. As I’ve been trying to come directly home from TKD now instead of stopping at their beauty shop, I see less and less of everyone in general. And there is another thing…

From the sparse Korean I know, I’ve been able to gather that someone in the family, a grandmother, I think, is sick in the nearest big city, Wonju. Thus, the family has been making regular trips this week out to the city to see her, and I have had to fend for myself. It has offered me opportunity to be helpful, however. I usually try to wash up the dishes now before omeoni returns. I also try to ask nightly after the grandmother, but all I can manage is a “Heomeoni is in Wonju? Is she alright?” to which I receive a brief “Yes.” I’m sure it is difficult to explain her condition in English, and I am not ignorant of the fact that the family may not want me to be concerned with it. What is even harder for the family, I’m sure, is that Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving Days) is so close. This time is traditionally spent in the houses of the patriarchs of a family, and thus my host family’s grandmother’s generation. I hope for their sake that she will be better soon.

(Sadly, this information about my host family’s grandmother follows news of my own grandmother’s condition, after which I am praying fervently.)

On a lighter note, I have been invited to stay with the family for Chuseok, or rather, I asked what the family was doing for Chuseok. They said they would stay with abeoji’s parents in town. I asked if it was ok if I tagged along. They said, “Yeah, sure!” I hope this will be a time to bond with the family, as I see so little of them as it is, and they are my sure support here. At least, I’d like them to be a sure support. As it stands, they’re just a support. Supports can be strengthened though, and I hope this Thanksgiving holiday will give me the opportunity to do that.

No comments: