Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Chess with Family

During her stay, Lydia H. was able to use her superior Korean skills to determine that my host brother really wants to learn how to play chess. Joy! So, I gave Rebecca H. a call, and she was gracious enough to purchase a chess set and bring it to me at the Hamlet.

I tried teaching my host brother how to play, but it turned out to be rather difficult so that, while I could get the basic moves down for him, he couldn’t necessarily use strategy, and I’m at a point where I have to think pretty hard to make it an even match between us. Luckily, his collegiate sister also developed an interest, and it wasn’t so bad playing against her. By now, host father also plays with great interest, and he has promised to teach me paduk (also known as go) in exchange. (For those who don’t know the game by either name, it’s in the movie “A Beautiful Mind”; it’s the game they play in the courtyard at Princeton (?). If you still don’t know what I’m talking about, watch the movie. It’s well worth the viewing. Or go to this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paduk.)

No comments: