Thursday, September 27, 2007

Host Family is Sick!

It turns out that the pink eye, which my host brother contracted from his uncle, has spread to the rest of the children in the family. I was advised to spend as little time as possible in the first floor’s common area. This actually made asking “permission” to go to Seoul this weekend all the easier. When the host father heard that I wanted to visit a friend there and go hiking, he said, “Yes! Go! Everyone’s sick, so get out of the house!” We all laughed at this. Hopefully they will be well again when I return.

(NOTE: About the “permission” – While I don’t actually ask permission to go places, I always try to check if the family is doing anything that they wanted me to attend with them. I don’t want to be rude, after all. They usually aren’t though, so I get my leave and go ashore, so to speak, by which I mean, I get to go to a city where they brew their coffee instead of mixing it from powder and have a beer selection beyond the Miller High Life-like domestic beers and Budweiser.)

Because of the sickness, my collegiate host sister stayed home from school a little past the Chuseok holiday. A bit of a blessing as she speaks at least decent English, and it made relaying my travel plans all the easier.

No comments: