Thursday, September 27, 2007

TKD: I am a Green Belt! Sorta…

I found out Thursday that I earned my green belt in TKD. I was a little worried because, after my rather poor performance on the test, I had never received a belt a no one even tried to tell me about it. I also ended up reviewing the second and third forms with a red-black belt all lesson, so that I thought I might need to test those forms again to advance.

To find out, I essentially walked up to the sabeonim after practice and said, “Noranti iaeyo?” (“Am I a yellow belt?”) He assured me that I had earned green belt, and that he would pass out the belts on Friday. I wouldn’t be there Friday, of course, but the knowledge was enough to assuage my fears.

I think that they must take other things into consideration when awarding belt—perhaps dedication, attitude, and willingness to learn. My performance certainly didn’t mean that I had earned the green belt, so it may be these other things that allowed for my success. In any case, I’ll have to be sure that for the next assessment, when I will attempt to earn a blue belt, there is no reason to doubt my receiving it.

No comments: