Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Weekly Letter Home - Pauline Turns to Pop Culture

Dear Family and Friends,

God’s peace be with you! I hope you are well wherever you are. For those of you in school who are tired, I’m praying that God may help you with that, but from my experience it’s a mountain he wants you to climb, not move. Bear with it. For those who are unwell, I am praying for that too (especially you, Grandma!). May God grant you comfort and may you rest secure in that comfort until you find your full rest in Him. For those who have trials of other kinds, please let me here from you.

Of course, if you have joys let me hear those as well! I just miss people in general and would enjoy your correspondence. I promise, my more personal letters are not the tomes I send out on a (semi-)weekly basis.

Speaking of which, below you will find the update for last week, accompanied by the finished account of my friends’ visit from two weekends ago.

Things are going well here. I am tired, of course, but what else is new? I’ve earned my Green Belt, been on a hike up one of the harder climbs in Korea (not the hardest, not yet, at any rate), and met some friends.

One thing that has troubled me (and this may seem silly) is that I’ve lost touch with some great American pastimes. I’m still doing Fantasy Football with my housemates from VALPO, but, without games to watch with them, it’s not nearly as fun. I’ve also missed the season premiere of HEROES, one of my favorite shows on NBC, as well as episode two. I’ll have to just stop in a PC-bang later this week to watch them online.

Luckily, my sister has been keeping me up to date on all of the youtube.com videos of Justice League Unlimited, Batman, and Superman that I could ever hope for. I’ve also rediscovered my love for listening to Five Iron Frenzy albums straight through, which has been far more uplifting than the habit I’d developed here of listening to Linkin Park albums. The music is just as loud, and the screaming from both bands is phenomenal, but the more sonorous tone and jazz keys of Five Iron’s punk-ska sound is just plain happier than Park’s head banging cacophony.

At any rate, enjoy the letter!

Love,

Jeremiah

No comments: