Thursday, September 13, 2007

Culinary Note: Goat Soup (염소탕)

In what seems like it will become a weekly ritual costing around 10,000 won, I once again went to the Dog Soup restaurant with my fellow teachers. This week, however, I decided to try the other meat option on the menu: goat. (This was the only other meat option, I might add.) You are what you eat must be true for goats, as it tastes pretty much like garbage. Of course, it is not that bad, but it certainly isn’t dog, nor is it even canned Dinty Moore stew left to burn on the stove. The meat is actually fairly decent, though certainly not worth the extra 2,000 won you have to pay over the other meat option. What one really has to be careful of with goat is the skin. This is grey in color and has the consistency of rubber.

I am clearly still alive, and I’d still recommend goat to the adventurous gourmands out there. I just wouldn’t recommend it if you want to have a good meal, and maybe it would be wise to eat it where you can easily obtain some Baskin Robbins.

No comments: