Thursday, August 9, 2007

Taekwondo: The Final Days

I have been remiss to mention this, but now that I have admitted my pain in reality’s public, I feel it is ok to admit it on the Internet as well. My feet have been sore ever since we began side kick in TKD. I have been keeping my feet wrapped up because of the blisters on the bottom of my feet, but these have callused for the most part. The real pain comes on the tops of my feet whenever I try to walk or run. The common consensus among our pre-Med ATEs (who really know very little, but the most) is that it’s a muscle cramping which I should just rest. I haven’t been resting them though, and I finally reached a point where I was hobbling no matter what I did. I even took to using an umbrella for support like a cane. For this reason, on the last day of TKD, I basically just watched while others learned two new sweet kicks. And JUMP KICKS even. Ah, well.

Since it was the last day, the kwanjangnim took us out to dalk-kalbi. We bestowed him and his assistant with gifts of libidinous value—a bottle of Jack and Scotch Blue respectively, both very expensive in Korea. A fitting gift, since he came around to each table and made sure we were all partaking of the soju he proffered us.

TKD was probably the most fun part of orientation for me, and definitely the biggest stress reliever. I hope to continue it in the hamlet. For now, however, I will rest my foot so that I won’t have to hobble to bow to my Principal and Co-Teacher.

No comments: